When selling clothes, it is necessary to adhere to strict standards of display in the salesroom. After all, the customer is looking not only for beautiful and comfortable items, but also for positive emotions. And a disorderly arrangement of goods is more likely to cause irritation than joy.
THE RULES OF CLOTHING MERCHANDISING: STORE ZONES
Buyers act approximately the same, so merchandising clothes involves general rules for decorating areas of the storefront, cash desk, fitting rooms and each of the sections of the sales floor. Here the techniques of cross, visual merchandising, as well as other types of merchandising are used. For example, new collections are usually placed to the right of the entrance to the sales floor, and clothes on sale are placed to the left. This is due to the natural desire of right-handed people (who are the majority of us) to go to the right of the entrance first.
Professional merchandisers in a clothing store arrange goods according to the peculiarities of human psychology. Here they count on centuries-old habits of gaze movement, and other stereotypes in behavior.
But merchandising clothes is not just a set of strict rules. It cannot do without creativity and design. After all, such stores are located at every turn, so the design of yours should clearly speak of its individuality and attract attention.
The main principles of merchandising in a clothing store
The use of merchandising in clothing stores is based on the application of a number of specific principles:
1) Presenting a wide range of clothes and shoes in the salesroom – the shelves and shelves of the store should not be empty, it can disrupt the mood of the client to make a purchase. The hall should present the actual things in all possible sizes and in the required quantity.
2) Arrangement – the products presented should be divided into zones. Zones can be arranged depending on the flow of customers, i.e. more expensive things and new collections are placed at the entrance on the right side. Cheap items and clothing on sale, placed at the end of the hall on the left side. This principle is based on the peculiarities of human psychology, because a large percentage of the population is right-handed, and when you enter the store they start to move it from the right side of the hall.
3) Visualization – to attract the attention of buyers, merchandisers in clothing stores carry out a special lay-out of goods, using creative approaches and using different types of trade equipment. Often the principles of contrasting colors, unusual arrangement of goods on racks, design of image zones, showcases and mannequins are used.
Visual merchandising of a clothing store
The main task of visual merchandising is to stimulate sales of the company with the help of a proper presentation of goods in the store.
The rules of visual merchandising:
- when displaying a window, a shelf or a mannequin, all customers’ attention should be focused on the garment itself, to emphasize the individuality of this or that model, to make the most effective combination;
- lay out the clothes on the racks should be so that the buyer can easily take the thing he likes;
- clothing should be presented in three-dimensional form, so that customers can consider how it will look in space;
- no more than three types of products should be presented in one display, otherwise the customer’s attention will be scattered, and he will pass by;
- all items should have a clearly visible price;
- lighting in the sales area should not distort the color and shape of goods;
- creation of a creative image zone in the form of decorating mannequins or showcases will attract customers’ attention, will visually show ready-to-wear images.
Seasonal merchandising of a clothing store
Seasonal merchandising is aimed at updating the assortment presented in a retail store of a particular brand, based on the current season, updated collections and fashion innovations.
There are several main principles of seasonal merchandising:
- Topical items should always be in the customer’s sight, at “arm’s length” distance;
- When the season or time of year changes, products of impulse demand should always be in sight – for example, accessories: sunglasses, umbrellas, gloves, stoles and other products;
- topical models are placed at eye level of customers, all the rest – above or below on the shelves
- emphasize the attention of visitors on seasonal products can be used with the help of additional advertising tools, such as informational stands, bright posters.
HOW TO ORGANIZE THE MERCHANDISING OF A CLOTHING STORE?
Here there are two options: either hire the appropriate employees in the staff, or use the services of outsourcing. Many cutting-edge companies prefer the second option – outsourcing clothing merchandising. The fact is that it allows you to save your own resources without being distracted by staffing issues.